Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Prepping for our First Thanksgiving

This year we will be hosting our first Thanksgiving feast!


Instead of going home to St. Louis like we do for every major holiday, we finally convinced our parents to make the trek to Chicago so that we could try our hand at making the family meal. It will be bittersweet since we will miss out on seeing our extended families that day, but now that we are married and have a ton of things which we registered for that we never use, I really wanted to start taking our turn at hosting it. Plus, now that my sister lives in Chicago as well, my parents have one more reason to come up north.

Last weekend, armed with 11 Bed Bath & Beyond 20% off coupons which I collected over the year, we picked up some extra odds-and-ends we'd need for the big day like a baster, a pie keeper and a few more things.

One of them was this great Counter Art Bamboo Carving Board:

I can't want to make my first turkey and carve it on our new board with our nice, Wustof carving knifes.

Another good find, was The Nifty 3-Tier Oven Rack.

I never would have thought of this, but I think this will come in extra handy for keeping multiple dishes warm at once on one half of the oven, while still having a large turkey on the bottom rack of the other half. At most Thanksgiving dinners, each of our family members have always been responsible for bringing different dishes and casseroles in a pot-luck fashion, but since I will be hosting out of town guests this year, our parents won't have an additional oven and prep space so that won't be possible. Thus, this will allow me to have more things in my oven simultaneously.

Another find was at the Crate & Barrel Outlet. I just think these are adorable. Dave thinks they are silly which is why I initially took them off of our registry last year, but now that we are officially hosting a meal requiring gravy I just had to get my hands on these super-cute Individual Gravy Boats from Crate & Barrel:


Besides being adorable, I also think these are practical and eliminate the need for reaching across the table or waiting for the graving boat to be passed around, resulting in immediate gravy gratification :-). Plus, they are only $1.95 each.

Now that we have all of the supplies it's time to start planning our menu. I will be preparing a dinner for eight and am just starting to brainstorm some recipe options. If any of you have delicious Thanksgiving recipes to share, please leave comments with recipes or links!

6 comments:

KY October 25, 2009 at 4:16 PM  

Congrats on hosting your first Thanksgiving =) I just wrote a blog about simple decorating tips and recipes if you're new to hosting Thanksgiving. You may enjoy from some of the fun ideas.

http://www.favecraftsblog.com/susie-homemaker-wannabe/

Happy Thanksgiving!

Kristen
Editor
FaveCrafts.com

KY October 25, 2009 at 4:30 PM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jennelle October 25, 2009 at 5:11 PM  

Oh my gosh, how exciting! I love a good excuse to use our fancy registry stuff. :) We hosted Thanksgiving for us and my mom and sis last year, and it didn't go as wonderfully as planned. It was still nice to get together, though, and we learned a lot. Good luck!

Angie October 26, 2009 at 8:54 AM  

How cool! We have yet to host our first family Thanksgiving feast, but we host enough parties that we've gotten good use out of alot of our wedding presents.
I made my first ever big turkey last year and I was really intimidated, but it was really easy and really yummy! Good luck!

Colleen MacDonald October 26, 2009 at 1:42 PM  

I LOVE cooking Thanksgiving dinner! One of the most important things is to wear an apron that you love and have a nice selection of music to listen to while you're working. This just makes the whole thing a ritual that is super fun.

I love your gravy boats, and the price cannot be beat! Have a great time!

Liz October 28, 2009 at 3:49 PM  

What fun! The first year we were married, I hosted Thanksgiving for my parents, my grandparents, aunt, cousin AND my inlaws. The last couple of years, it's just been my side of the family, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE hosting. Can't wait for this year! It's a lot of work, but worth it.

Labels

About Me

I'm a St. Louis native, but I have been living in Chicago since 2005 and am loving every windy minute of it. I enjoy cooking (more-so eating), home decorating and really anything creative. I'm a supporter of DIY & handmade goods, a fledgling foodie and a connoisseur of kitsch. I spend my days filling online shopping carts, emptying them and repeating the process all over again. Most of all I love spending time with my husband, Dave, our first child, Claire and my dog, Louie.

Etsy Faves

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP