Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, June 3, 2011

Strawberry Fields

On Memorial Day we started a new tradition with our new little family: Strawberry Picking!


We were in St. Louis for the weekend, so we invited the grandmas and our friends to join us for a morning of picking berries at Eckert's in Belleville, IL.

IMGP8577

IMGP8576

Growing up I had been to Eckert's to pick apples, but never strawberries so we were excited to see what was in store for us.

The grandmas both got to work right away in the fields:

IMGP8523

Claire was blissfully unaware that there was any strawberry picking taking place, but she did sport a strawberry print romper for the occasion:

IMGP8524

IMGP8539

Then we showed her the crop (apparently, she was not as impressed as we were with her perfect strawberry):

IMGP8532

It really was a gorgeous day.

IMGP8527

IMGP8531

IMGP8550

IMGP8553

And our friend's daughter, Little Miss O, made sure to sample the goods:

IMGP8560

Our pickings. We walked away with 5.75 lbs of berries from which we made strawberry pie, strawberry jam and strawberry mojitos:

IMGP8566

Claire was very excited to be creating these family memories:

IMGP8572

IMGP8570

I think we'll make this an annual event.

IMGP8548

We are looking forward to apple picking this fall, too, expecially since Claire will be a little older. Last year we went apple picking in Wisconsin at Apple Holler Orchard since it is quite a bit closer to home, but perhaps we'll trek back to Eckert's this time around. Oh and I already ordered her an outfit for the occasion...these adorable apple dungarees from Boden:

How cute are these?

Here's to many more fruitful family outings :-)

0 comments:

Labels

About Me

I'm a St. Louis native, but I have been living in Chicago since 2005 and am loving every windy minute of it. I enjoy cooking (more-so eating), home decorating and really anything creative. I'm a supporter of DIY & handmade goods, a fledgling foodie and a connoisseur of kitsch. I spend my days filling online shopping carts, emptying them and repeating the process all over again. Most of all I love spending time with my husband, Dave, our first child, Claire and my dog, Louie.

Etsy Faves

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP