Related Posts with Thumbnails

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

St. Louis Style Gooey Butter Cake

My husband's work is having a "bake-off" tomorrow so he commissioned me to make something that will knock their socks off. Desiring to be a little more creative than a basic cookie or brownie, we thought we could take this opportunity to introduce those Chicagoans to a St. Louis staple, Gooey Butter Cake! You know one of the staples that is featured on my favorite St. Louis Style print that I have...

There are a variety of recipes out there, but this one is quite simple and the one my mother has been using for years straight from our parish cookbook.

Gooey Butter Cake Recipe

Ingredients:
  • 1 yellow cake mix
  • 1 stick melted butter
  • 4 eggs
  • 8 oz. cream cheese
  • 1lb. powdered sugar
Directions:
Mix the following, then spread into ungreased 9X13 cake pan (this part will be thick):
1 yellow cake mix
1 stick melted butter
2 eggs, beaten

Beat the following with a mixer until smooth, then pour over the thick batter:
8 oz. cream cheese
2 eggs
1lb. powdered sugar

Bake @ 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Let cool and serve cut into squares to resemble a lemon bar or a coffee cake of sorts.

Before:
After:
I think the gooey center pieces are the best. It's rich though, so make sure you have plenty of people to share it with. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Sarah @ Hennessey House April 14, 2010 at 10:20 AM  

dangerous.

and schnucks (whose gooey butter cookies were ALREADY amazing), has started making them with DRIZZLED CHOCOLATE ON TOP. yes, that's right, i said GOOEY BUTTER COOKIES WITH CHOCOLATE. unbelievably insanely delicious.

you could easily do that to this recipe, too, just sayin ;)

N. April 14, 2010 at 5:46 PM  

Yum! I am saving this recipe to share with my non-St. Louis family.

Angie April 14, 2010 at 5:46 PM  

mmmm i heart gooey butter cake and gooey butter cookies. You have to try gooey louies on chippewa next time you come home. they have so many diff flavors, their choco raspberry one is to die for.

Labels

About Me

I'm a St. Louis native, but I have been living in Chicago since 2005 and am loving every windy minute of it. I enjoy cooking (more-so eating), home decorating and really anything creative. I'm a supporter of DIY & handmade goods, a fledgling foodie and a connoisseur of kitsch. I spend my days filling online shopping carts, emptying them and repeating the process all over again. Most of all I love spending time with my husband, Dave, our first child, Claire and my dog, Louie.

Etsy Faves

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP