Related Posts with Thumbnails

Monday, February 15, 2010

Vintage Luggage Dog Bed Project

My parents have a set of mustard-yellow American Tourister luggage at home that I'm guessing is from the mid-1970's and was probably a wedding gift or purchased early in their marriage. Growing up I thought it was not-so-cute, and after a while it just sat in our storage room while we upgraded to various duffel and roller bags over the years. It looks just like this...

Fast forward 30 years or so, and I am so happy they've kept it around now that vintage luggage is back in vogue (as far as decor goes). Better yet, they said I am more than welcome to take it off their hands! As the saying goes, everything old is new again.

I still need to bring it back from Saint Louis next time I go visit, but that hasn't stopped me from planning exactly what I will do with it! My plan is to make a Vintage Luggage Dog Bed for my Louie-dog. He currently sits/sleeps on an ottoman near our floor to ceiling windows all day, but I think this will make a much cuter hangout.

Here are some of my inspirations pics from etsy seller 'vintagerenaissance' and her suitcase bed collection:

I also did a quick search on where I might be able to find my own mid-century modern legs to attach, and came across this great post on apartment therapy showing very affordable furniture legs from ace hardware.

12-inch legs $4.49 each
Then I would just need our drill and four of these angled leg plates for $2.79 each.
Since the legs are unfinished, I may paint them as well but I'll have to wait and see how it all comes together. Event though I may not be able to reveal this for a month or two since I don't have the suitcases in my possession yet, I still had to share my excitement about this potential new perch for my pup!

5 comments:

Angie February 16, 2010 at 2:51 AM  

what a cute idea!

Jennelle February 16, 2010 at 6:05 AM  

Seriously, you have the BEST ideas!

Colleen MacDonald February 16, 2010 at 2:31 PM  

I love that mustard yellow color! And old vintage luggage is so great; your dog will love the special bed, and you will love the chic decor element. Win-win!

lynn February 17, 2010 at 7:38 AM  

I love it!

ellen March 2, 2010 at 7:03 AM  

Hilarious - my parents have that exact same luggage and I've been planning on doing the exact same thing with it :o)

Keep us posted!

Labels

About Me

I'm a St. Louis native, but I have been living in Chicago since 2005 and am loving every windy minute of it. I enjoy cooking (more-so eating), home decorating and really anything creative. I'm a supporter of DIY & handmade goods, a fledgling foodie and a connoisseur of kitsch. I spend my days filling online shopping carts, emptying them and repeating the process all over again. Most of all I love spending time with my husband, Dave, our first child, Claire and my dog, Louie.

Etsy Faves

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP