Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Creative Enthusiast...?

Anyone else out there feel like they have a ton of creative ideas but not necessarily many quantifiable, creative skills?


I'm a big idea person. A concept person. I appreciate art, design, photography, fabric, food, typography, color, illustration, fashion, pretty things, etc. I guess I would call myself crafty, but not necessarily artistic because I feel like I'm not an executor. I don't paint. Or draw. Or sew. Or design. I do have a journalism degree and I started my career as a copywriter, but outside of blogging I do not write very often anymore (besides updating my Facebook status).

However, I am creative. I like to brainstorm and to coordinate. I love to decorate and think I have a "good eye". I guess I'm a collector of things and ideas, in fact I soak them up like a sponge, but I feel like less of a doer because I just could never call myself a "fill-in-the-blank"_____ (seamstress, painter, artist, designer, photographer, etc.). For instance, I purchase handmade goods quite often, but if I wanted to set-up an Etsy shop of my own, what could I sell? Ideas? Or my eye-for-design? Probably not a very tangible good!

So how do you classify a person like me? There has to be more of us out there. Are we creative enthusiasts? Groupies?

hmmm...

4 comments:

ellen March 26, 2010 at 4:54 PM  

Seriously, were we separated at birth?? I have ALWAYS felt this way - in particular, I have always loved working around creatives, surrounding myself with the talents of others.

I think in a lot of professional fields, this makes you a good project manager.

Stephanie March 26, 2010 at 5:48 PM  

ellen: I think we MIGHT be separated at birth, ha! We were only born a few days apart (or so they say) ;-)

I too love surrounding myself with creative minds. I think it also makes me harder on myself and my own abilities because I know the difference between mediocre work and GREAT work!

Sarah @ Hennessey House March 29, 2010 at 11:21 AM  

i think you are simply classified as "awesome." :)
at least, anyone creative (whether they have the skills or the ideas) is awesome to me.

Colleen MacDonald March 29, 2010 at 12:46 PM  

You are an art curator! You have an amazing eye for design, and actually that's a very market-able skill. Interior decorators, personal shoppers, magazine editors, movie set designers and more all share that incredible (and rare) talent. An amazing individual piece of art can fall short of its potential if it is not placed in the right context, and you have a FIRM grasp on this concept.

I agree with Sarah's "You are Awesome" statement!

Labels

About Me

I'm a St. Louis native, but I have been living in Chicago since 2005 and am loving every windy minute of it. I enjoy cooking (more-so eating), home decorating and really anything creative. I'm a supporter of DIY & handmade goods, a fledgling foodie and a connoisseur of kitsch. I spend my days filling online shopping carts, emptying them and repeating the process all over again. Most of all I love spending time with my husband, Dave, our first child, Claire and my dog, Louie.

Etsy Faves

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP