Related Posts with Thumbnails

Monday, March 1, 2010

Mexico-a-go-go...

I have been to one all-inclusive resort, and it was in Cancun when I was a senior in high school for spring break. It was my first time on a plane in my life and believe it or not I did not even drink then so I didn't really take full advantage of the "all-inclusiveness". I do remember that even after my extensive travel in the Caribbean (Bahamas, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia, Dominica, Barbados & Puerto Rico), the beach in Mexico was still one of the most gorgeous I've ever seen.

The reason I haven't been back to an all-inclusive in over 10 years is because generally I prefer more culturally interesting trips. I like the sun and beach, but I usually like to "do things" when I travel: take in native culture, try interesting cuisine, go off the beaten path, hang with locals, etc. Even our honeymoon to Puerto Rico was part sightseeing road trip and part beach time. Somewhat relaxing, but we didn't stay in one place long. In fact, the 2 weeks we spent traipsing around Italy last September were some of the best days of our lives AND not very relaxing at all.

But Dave and I have never taken one of those vacations together where you just land, lay, eat, drink, sleep and repeat, so I think it's about time we did! It actually really surprises me that this was my husband's idea since he hates to lay in the sun and is the type that won't take his shirt off at the pool; however, in May he will end a very stressful busy-season at work and I think he's just ready to get away and forget all of his worries.

SO MEXICO HERE WE COME!

In about 3 months, after Dave stands up at one of his best friend's weddings in St. Louis, we will be whisked away to Mexico's Riviera Maya. We did juggle around the idea of going to Jamaica first, but there are no non-stop flights available anymore for the dates we seek, even through a travel agent. And personally a short, direct flight to Mexico landing at noon sounds much better to us than spending a day in US airports and landing in the evening when we could have been at the beach instead. So Mexico it is!

We will stay in an adults only all-inclusive, The Royal Playa del Carmen.


A hammock on every balcony

A stand alone jacuzzi tub in every room

A great beach

And beautiful sunsets!


TripAdvisor ranks it #2 out of 181 hotels in Playa del Carmen and the 2,000+ reviews are 91% positive. The traveler photos look great, and I personally know a friend who has stayed there and loved it so I feel very comfortable booking our stay there.

I also like that this hotel, while on the beautiful beach, is just 2 blocks away from downtown Play del Carmen, so if we do get the itch to explore it won't entail an expensive cab ride.

Oh, and a regularly scheduled ferry departs from the nearby pier, which can take us to the island of Cozumel for a fun day trip.

I'm ready for some warmth and sunshine! What do you say? Only 3 months away!

6 comments:

LC March 1, 2010 at 8:22 PM  

Yay, yay, yay! SO MUCH FUN! We are going to go to Mexico in July and I am so excited. Your resort looks amazing!

N. March 1, 2010 at 8:24 PM  

Sooo jealous!! Have fun!

Sarah March 1, 2010 at 9:27 PM  

lucky!!! i am way jealous!

Angie March 2, 2010 at 4:20 AM  

OMG I'm so jeal!!!! You're gonna have a blast! I went to Cancun for an all inclusive in 1999 with my whole fam and we had a complete blast. My hubs is the same way, he hates trips where you just lay in the sun and do nothing. I also prefer a more culturally interesting trip. You can always go visit the mayan ruins, that would be awesome. I wanted to do that so bad but no one on my trip wanted to go with me. meh.

Jennelle March 2, 2010 at 7:40 AM  

I have TOTALLY seen that resort! When we went on our cruise in October, one of our stops was Cozumel. BUT, we took a ferry over to Playa del Carmen (and then a 45 minute bus ride to Tulum), and we walked right by it! Seriously, absolutely gorgeous. You are going to LOVE it!

Oh, and Tulum was awesome, if you get a chance. It's a nice way to work some culture in. :) And if you simply can't tear yourself away from the beach--you can actually swim at Tulum, and the beach is drop-dead gorgeous. I've got some pictures on my blog, back in the October time-frame. I wish someone would have told us to wear our swimsuits!

Colleen MacDonald March 3, 2010 at 5:25 PM  

Oh I'm THRILLED for you; it'll be so relaxing and lovely. Bring the book you've always wished you could devote time to. Ahhhh....

Labels

About Me

I'm a St. Louis native, but I have been living in Chicago since 2005 and am loving every windy minute of it. I enjoy cooking (more-so eating), home decorating and really anything creative. I'm a supporter of DIY & handmade goods, a fledgling foodie and a connoisseur of kitsch. I spend my days filling online shopping carts, emptying them and repeating the process all over again. Most of all I love spending time with my husband, Dave, our first child, Claire and my dog, Louie.

Etsy Faves

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP