Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Last Weekend's Vintage Bazaar Finds

Last weekend I went to The Vintage Bazaar in Chicago with my sister and her friend Allyson and had a great time.

First, we had brunch at Cafe Selmarie where I started the day off right with a vanilla latte while we waited for our table. Once seated, I ordered a delicious chilaquiles casserole and a refreshing mimosa. They also have a wonderful pastry case but we had stuffed ourselves silly, and had to take a pass.

Next, we headed over to the bazaar around 1pm to find a line around the block!


The staffers said that they grossly underestimated the turnout of the "pop-up flea market" and they were basically doing "one-in one-out" so that it was not overcrowded inside. We were very antsy as we inched closer and closer to the door and felt tortured as we watched others walk out with their new-found treasure. But then it was finally our turn!

My first stop was at two neighboring booths right near the entrance, where I snatched a large, white milkglass vase from vendor 'Pretty. Quirky.' for $7.


And then I spotted this cool vintage chandelier from vendor 'Fine Diving' for just $25.


It had suffered a bit of bazaar wear-and-tear -- one of the strings of the beads had fallen off and scattered underneath their display -- but the nice seller offered to take my address down and mail me the remaining beads to re-string... and this week she did just that.


Also, I poked around online a little and found the post where she featured the before and after of my new kitschy chandelier here. I love knowing a little history about about my new piece.

Today I went to the Home Depot and bought a 3 foot chain and a few more materials with the hopes of hanging it in the area over our TV. Now I just need to borrow a VERY tall ladder :-)


My last find was this random little container that I thought would be a nice addition to my "bird room", aka the guest bedroom.

At first I added it to a bedside table...

...but then I moved it to the guest bathroom where I might even use it as a soap dish.

Here is my loot again, altogether.

I can't wait for another one of these bazaars to pop-up sometime. It has also given me some great new blogs/vendors to follow and a hankering to go thrifting again sometime very soon!

5 comments:

Jennelle March 8, 2010 at 6:05 AM  

Very cool! I'm on a mission to find a bunch of milk glass for our living room, but I haven't had much luck. :(

Fine Diving March 8, 2010 at 12:09 PM  

Hi Stephanie! A girl after my own heart! So great to find you. I'm the makeover-er of the kitschy chandelier from the Vintage Bazaar. I couldn't imagine a better spot for it! This is its best iteration, starting with its version in a humble 20's bungalow, then the green bead thing I did as a porch fixture, now the silver kitsch. Hope you enjoy. I'm hooked on your site.

Colleen MacDonald March 8, 2010 at 2:11 PM  

I adore your finds! The milk glass is so elegant and would be perfect for so many things! The chandelier is so classy, and I love the little birdie dish so much! What a super fun day; it looks like it was definitely worth the wait in line.

andrea March 8, 2010 at 3:51 PM  

what fab finds! love it all...looking forward to seeing photos of the chandelier up!

Sarah March 9, 2010 at 7:02 PM  

i looove the milkglass vase and chandelier! pictures please of its final installation :)

Labels

About Me

I'm a St. Louis native, but I have been living in Chicago since 2005 and am loving every windy minute of it. I enjoy cooking (more-so eating), home decorating and really anything creative. I'm a supporter of DIY & handmade goods, a fledgling foodie and a connoisseur of kitsch. I spend my days filling online shopping carts, emptying them and repeating the process all over again. Most of all I love spending time with my husband, Dave, our first child, Claire and my dog, Louie.

Etsy Faves

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP