Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Early Risers, Bring May Flowers

Today I got up at the crack of dawn to head to my first ever garage sale excursion. A neighborhood here in Chicago was having a big sale that has been hyped up a bit so I thought it might be a nice time to scope out a bunch of sales all at once, but...it was a bust. Maybe I wasn't in the mood or maybe it's just seeing the junk in other people's garages that makes me realize I really don't need anymore junk of my own. Don't get me wrong, I won't give up on garage sales altogether but today I was particularly unimpressed so I might stick to vintage sales and thrift stores, etc. for the time being.


The good news is that being up so early on a gorgeous Sunday morning did inspire me to do something about our drab balcony. It has been neglected since the winter (and the winter before) and the rusty floor will likely not to be repainted & repaired until our Condo Association gets more funds. So I thought I needed to take matters into my own hands.

I went to Home Depot and bought some commercial grade, environmentally-friendly indoor/outdoor mats to cover the unsightly balcony floor.

Let's consider this a partial "before" pic. See 3 out of 5 mats down here, and notice the rust where we do not have a mat down yet...yes that should be black to match the railings!

IMGP3620

Then I got an assortment of flowers, and a new plant stand with a huge terra cotta pot to sit on it. I filled each of my four green plastic planters with 2 white geraniums and 6 red salvia.

IMGP3632

IMGP3634

IMGP3635

Then I put a stonecrop 'Sedum Autumn Joy' in a cute yellow planter on the bistro table.

IMGP3638

I also filled the huge terra cotta pot with yellow, orange and red gerbera daisies.

IMGP3652

IMGP3664

And here's the end result...

IMGP3668

I even had helpers, well more like onlookers, but I was glad to have them there for moral support :-)

IMGP3660

Job well done, Lou-dog! (And yes, we like to taunt the Cubs fans here with our grill cover.)

IMGP3657

8 comments:

Jennelle May 16, 2010 at 5:40 PM  

Huge difference! It looks like you guys had a gorgeous day up in Chi-town. I'm hoping for some good weather next weekend for a) my birthday Cards game celebration and b) gardening (and now fixing the fence and shed someone decided to run over).

Unknown May 16, 2010 at 5:55 PM  

Looks great, Steph! I showed mom your pics, too. :) I will send you pics of mom's new fountain.

Sarah May 16, 2010 at 5:58 PM  

aww, bummer that you didn't have luck at the garage sales! i definitely have days where i strike out.
love what you did with the flowers though! in all reality it's a small change, but they make such a big impact and really cheer up the porch!

Diana May 17, 2010 at 8:31 AM  

Photo of husband and dog melts my heart. Eek, Stephanie. Hope the weekend garage sale wasn't one I hyped up. Where was it?

Liz May 17, 2010 at 8:59 AM  

I must have that grill cover!!!

Maria May 17, 2010 at 12:21 PM  

You did a fantastic job on the balcony. I love all the colors you chose with the flowers, and the mats were a great idea!

Sara McCarty May 17, 2010 at 3:25 PM  

Your patio looks amazing!! And I love love love the Cardinals grill cover in Chicago. Boo Cubs!

N. May 20, 2010 at 11:11 AM  

It looks great! And I love your patio. Your place is so gorgeous.

Labels

About Me

I'm a St. Louis native, but I have been living in Chicago since 2005 and am loving every windy minute of it. I enjoy cooking (more-so eating), home decorating and really anything creative. I'm a supporter of DIY & handmade goods, a fledgling foodie and a connoisseur of kitsch. I spend my days filling online shopping carts, emptying them and repeating the process all over again. Most of all I love spending time with my husband, Dave, our first child, Claire and my dog, Louie.

Etsy Faves

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP