Related Posts with Thumbnails

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Branching Out

I noticed a new trend that I have been gravitating toward lately, twig and branch decor. 


We own a loft, and while I love the high concrete ceilings & pillars and urban feel, I also like to warm it up with more cozy (but still modern) decor to make it feel like home. I think I like the juxtaposition of cool & warm and shabby & chic. Or heck, maybe it's just plain kitschy, but I like it anyway.

Many months ago, we needed to buy a second side table for our living room. Since I knew we'd never find one in the exact same wood or style as the other coffee & side table in the room, I wanted to get something that would compliment it, yet still be unique.

We settled on this West Elm Branch Side Table

I love it! And it makes for a perfect resting spot for my laptop at night in between my web surfing, blogging and facebook stalking :-)

Another thing you lack in a loft is closets...no coat closet, no linen closet, etc. So a coat rack is a must. I'm not sure how we have lived here 1+ years without one. Around the same time we found the West Elm Table, a Pottery Barn catalog came out (I'm talking many, many months ago) with a lovely twig coat rack. I immediately went online to snag it, yet the item number could not be found. Curious. I then called the 1-800 #, and they could not find the item either! Who publishes a catalog with merchandise that is not available?? 

Well lucky for me my aunt gave us a Pottery Barn gift card for a very belated housewarming gift. After reading Maria's post today on entryway furniture, it inspired me to get online and spruce up ours. So I ventured on to the PB website again tonight and found that the Twig Coat Rack is back! (labeled as NEW too, go figure) So, of course, we bought it. I didn't want to risk it "disappearing" again plus we had a gift card:


Another thing you lack in a loft (I swear we love our loft, I'm just highlighting the cons tonight) is light. We need more lighting, but with 16 foot concrete ceilings, it hard to just throw up extra overhead lighting willy-nilly. A temporary solution for now is an extra floor lamp in our living room to set next to our branch side table.

So, as you may have read a few days ago, I found a few strange things while shopping on ZGallerie the other day, but I also found this gem, a twig floor lamp:


We have a gift card that would cover half, but you have to call to order, so I have yet to do it. Would this be too many twigs? Am I barking up to wrong decor tree? Or would this perfectly complete my attempt to branch out into new home decor? I dunno. I think I'll sleep on it.


4 comments:

cassi January 8, 2009 at 8:30 AM  

LOVE IT! Especially the table! I have a sick addiction to West Elm. I often take the catalog ideas and go shop at Target or BB&B for cheaper steals of the same style :)

I'm also a huge loft fan, with the whole "urban + nature" mix. I try hard to mix the two but sometimes it looks a little misguided or strange. Will you decorate my house? ;)

andrea January 8, 2009 at 11:18 PM  

I love that west elm table too! I am hoping it goes on sale and I can buy it. Totally love it!

Stephanie January 21, 2009 at 11:54 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie January 21, 2009 at 11:54 PM  

Cassi, sure I'd love to decorate your house! But don't buy that Zgallerie lamp, I just did and it came in all damaged :-(

Labels

About Me

I'm a St. Louis native, but I have been living in Chicago since 2005 and am loving every windy minute of it. I enjoy cooking (more-so eating), home decorating and really anything creative. I'm a supporter of DIY & handmade goods, a fledgling foodie and a connoisseur of kitsch. I spend my days filling online shopping carts, emptying them and repeating the process all over again. Most of all I love spending time with my husband, Dave, our first child, Claire and my dog, Louie.

Etsy Faves

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP