Related Posts with Thumbnails

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I found my telephone bench!

I posted back in February about my hunt for a vintage telephone bench to make-over and after multiple craigslist searches for "Telephone Table", "Telephone Bench" and "Gossip Bench" I either came up short, or found pieces that were $100+. I couldn't bring myself to spend that on something that I am going to sand, paint and upholster myself. I also went out two weekends in a row to various local antique stores and re-sale places and never found anything either. But recently my luck changed...


On Sunday, Dave and I headed down to the southside of Chicago, no not for Chicago's infamous South Side Irish St. Patrick's Day Parade, but to pick up the telephone bench I found on Craigslist for only $45. Woo-hoo.

Here are the pics:


I like that it has a full bench, as opposed to a single seat, and while it lacks the drawer I had hoped for, I do like the crisscross detail on the seat back. Not too ornate, but still eye-catching.

So now I need to sand it with my new electric sander and then... choose the paint color! This is going to be a hard one. I want it to be bold, but not an eyesore. I did buy one yard of green patterned fabric and one yard of orange patterned fabric for the seat, but I'm torn on the wood color. Right now I'm leaning towards a deep aubergine or eggplant color, and I think it would look nice with either fabric choice. But I also like the idea of having an aqua color with the orange fabric Or an orange piece with the green fabric.

Any suggestions?

7 comments:

Angie March 17, 2009 at 8:14 PM  

Yay! It's gonna be awesome when you're done with it. I have no suggestions but I do like the bones of it and once you change the cushion it's gonna be fab. I just love finding something that I've been dying for, it's the best feeling. weeeeee

Jennelle March 17, 2009 at 9:26 PM  

It's going to look so great! I love the idea of painting it eggplant. :)

andrea March 17, 2009 at 9:35 PM  

oh I cannot wait to see it! What about painting white....or a turquoise teal....

Another thought....you could reinvent like a red phone booth in london! Using bright red paint...cute vintage dial phone? I so want one of those phone booths for a liquor cabinet! heh

Liz March 17, 2009 at 9:38 PM  

Aaah!

Ok, I have been dreaming of an aqua/teal redone piece in my house. So if my vote counts, which it might not, that would be it! :) Or maybe eggplant. Eesh.

LUCKY! ;) Great find!

Sarah March 18, 2009 at 8:06 AM  

you scored that bench for quite a steal! what are the other colors in the room where you'll put the bench? i like the idea of eggplant paint, but only if it won't clash with other elements in the same space. but really, no matter what you do, we all know you'll make it look awesome :)

Trisha March 18, 2009 at 9:31 AM  

I can't wait to see the final product! :)

Colleen MacDonald March 18, 2009 at 10:11 AM  

That is serious cool! My first gut instinct said, "Aqua and orange!" But I don't know the room that this little piece of adorable will be sitting in...

Labels

About Me

I'm a St. Louis native, but I have been living in Chicago since 2005 and am loving every windy minute of it. I enjoy cooking (more-so eating), home decorating and really anything creative. I'm a supporter of DIY & handmade goods, a fledgling foodie and a connoisseur of kitsch. I spend my days filling online shopping carts, emptying them and repeating the process all over again. Most of all I love spending time with my husband, Dave, our first child, Claire and my dog, Louie.

Etsy Faves

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP