Related Posts with Thumbnails

Monday, January 25, 2010

A lil' bit of Lill for my Lull

It's that time of year again. The time of year that I will fall into a drastic post-holiday, missing-my-busy-season-CPA hubby, windy-city-winter LULL if not otherwise thwarted by a bright, shiny & new creative outlet. Luckily, my sister was kind enough to get me a gift card to the Lill Street Art Center which I can put towards a new class again this year!

Last year I took a First-Time Screen-Printing for Paper class there and made a few, fun prints. But I'm torn if I should continue in the screen-printing route or if I should try something new?

I could take the First-Time Screen-Printing for Fabric class and learn how to replicate these pillow cases I have been most recently coveting, among other cool fabric crafts.

Or I could jump on either the Sewing or Knitting bandwagon, but unfortunately I just don't think I can make it there by 6:30pm on a work night for the sewing sessions so the knitting course is probably more feasible.

Or I could really splurge for this 10-week course, Introduction to Letterpress Image And Text.

I think my hold-up with Letterpress and Screen-printing is that they are both very interesting to me, but I lack the at-home-studio space to put my new found skills into action once class is dismissed. And while knitting is a bit less interesting to me, it might be a more useful skill to have down the road and a more affordable, maybe even therapeutic, hobby to take up.

Decisions, decisions. What would you do in my shoes?

Leave a comment to vote for the next Lill Street class I should enroll in!

3 comments:

andrea January 27, 2010 at 9:58 PM  

How fun! I vote for screen-printing on fabric or letterpress!

Just think about all the things you could make with your fabric printing skills! Shirts, your aforementioned pillow cases, you could open an etsy shop!

So I know it is not practical, but really with screen printing, if you know the basics, you can do it without all the big equipment and stuff...or maybe I am just making this up in my head!

I never took screen printing in college, I loved collagraph.

Stephanie January 28, 2010 at 9:30 PM  

Andrea, I agree with being able to possibly screen-print at home, but at class we used power washers to clean our screen and also a dark room to burn photo emulsion into our screens, so those are two things I won't have. I have heard you can burn screens in the sun though. I just need a way to wash them in our loft/condo (no yard) without making a mess!

cassi January 28, 2010 at 10:36 PM  

I am very jealous that they don't have a studio like this in St Louis! :( It sounds like so much fun!!!

Labels

About Me

I'm a St. Louis native, but I have been living in Chicago since 2005 and am loving every windy minute of it. I enjoy cooking (more-so eating), home decorating and really anything creative. I'm a supporter of DIY & handmade goods, a fledgling foodie and a connoisseur of kitsch. I spend my days filling online shopping carts, emptying them and repeating the process all over again. Most of all I love spending time with my husband, Dave, our first child, Claire and my dog, Louie.

Etsy Faves

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP